So, I’ve had this idea tangled up in the cobwebs of my mind for a while now. A result I wanted, yet hadn’t figured out how to achieve it. But then it hit me, out of the blue I had an idea that seemed so simple once it came to me. So, to test this idea, I selected an old end table that truly needed new life breathed into it.
First, let’s get ride of that old ugly black base by slathering it with a nice bath of fresh white paint.
Now, to remove the finish on the top.
Warning!!! WEAR A MASK!
(I didn’t and suffered a nice little headache for 3 days afterward!)
Patience is needed during sanding….
Now for the Brain storm to be put into action.
I was pleasantly surprised at the woodgrain that was smothered under all the finish I had just removed. This only inspired me to forge on. Taking a paint brush dipped in polyurethane (and the help of a stencil) I painted a design on the raw wood.
And then…. (this is my favorite part)
I applied stain over the top of the wood top. Oh My! The wood grain was more distinct and the the polyurethane held the original wood grain color, not allowing the stain to adhere.
Yeah… I’ll be using this technique more in the future.