Unique Creations by Shari Denise

From Writing to Chickens with lots in-between, Creativity Abounds!

Cackleberry Inn Dining

As with all Inns, Dining is very important. No, we don’t serve tasty gourmet on silver platters at the Cackleberry Inn, but a lot of thought and effort has gone into personalizing the dining experience to the Cackleberry Inn’s specific needs.

I Love these feeder systems! Details about this system coming soon!

I Love the Cackleberry Inn Dining!

I will admit, it took four attempts before a successful feeding system that pleased the Inn as well as MY requirements. Sometimes I trying wanted to argue with physics. You can imagine who won. I am truly thrilled about the end result even if it was a brain teaser for a while.

As you probably already know, the Cackleberry Inn has 4 “Suites” that house my Quad-flock. Yes, (*sigh*) being blessed with too many roosters and incapable of riding my flock of any of them, I enjoy splitting my flock into four groups. So, the feeder system for the Inn must service four separate flocks. Originally I planned to have one main feeder system located on the center wall, giving access to all four “Suites”. When that didn’t work out, I elected to have two feeders on the Center wall, servicing two “Suites” each. Due to space constraints, that didn’t work out either. Yes, it looked good on paper but in reality, it just wasn’t happening.

After much thought (and wee hour brain storming) I decided to look at it from a different perspective. That brought me to the idea of changing the location to “the other” interior wall. This seemed to work well but my mind was still wanting to go against physics (details weren’t pretty).  Then the solution just fell into place. Here is the end result and below is the piece by piece construction. Click on the photo for larger Image. (Details of the assembly listed below (scroll on down below photos).

 

 

“If you don’t first succeed, try, try again.”

 

Well, the Feed system for the Cackleberry Inn gave me some challenges. But, after 3 failed attempts, the 4th attempt works well.

 

*  I decided on using aluminum baby pig feeders for the troughs. I like the size and ease of mounting them by hooking on 2 screws.

 

*  For the pipes, I chose drainage pipes, instead of regular plumbing pipes because they are lighter in weight.For ease of disassembly (for cleaning purposes, etc) I did not glue the pipes together. They stick together quite snuggly, some so snug you’d swear it WAS glued.

 

*  I used a 2′ long 6″ drain pipe to start with.

 

*  I fitted a coupler converter that attaches the 6″ pipe to a 4″ pipe.

 

*  I cut a piece of 4″ pipe to attach that to a 4″ Y.

 

*  I cut 2 more pieces of 4″ pipe to attach the Y ends to 4″ elbows. These 2 pieces had to be the right length so the space between the 2 elbows was approximately 6.5″ wide (the width between the two baby pig feeder troughs).

 

*  The bottom of each elbow, I fitted a coupler converter that attached the 4″ pipe to a 3″ pipe.

 

*  I cut a piece of 3″ pipe just long enough to attach the last piece of the feeder which was a coupler converter that fits a round 3″ pipe to a rectangle. This rectangle fits easily into the top of the baby pig feeders.

 

*  Of Course, I used a 6″ cap for the top of this Gravity Flow Feeder.

 

*  I secured the vertical feeder in place with Steel Hanger Tape (and screws).

 

I love it when a plan (FINALLY) comes together! 🙂

Back to Cackleberry Lane

%d bloggers like this: